Friday, October 3, 2008

Quick first impressions of my new (used) Sport 2

I've read a lot of "Sport 2 vs U2" articles, but not as many about the transition from the Falcon 3 to the Sport 2.

The two, as I should have expected, are almost different types of aircraft. While the fundamentals are the same (shift your weight, pull in, push out, etc.), the way each feels is remarkably different from the other. What kept going through my mind as I flew yesterday was: "This wing is slicker."

In most ways, that slicker was better. The Sport 2 cut through the air more easily and quickly than the Falcon. It was quieter, smoother, and faster. But, the slickness worked against me in one way: it was harder to stay in thermals. I felt like I was sliding out of thermals that I may have stayed in with the Falcon. I compensated for this by focusing on pushing out and going more slowly and that seemed to help, but the telltale wingtip bumps and feedback though the control frame were dampened.


Spaghetti Junction on a Sport 2

As far as the quality of the specific wing, the guy I bought it from took good care of it. It's seen a lot of sun, thanks to the East Coast flying style that has the wings unfolded longer than they are out here. But, the wing is quite clean the the sail in good shape. D by D pointed at some stitching on the wingtip and commented that the stitches will not be that clean again. Time to fight the West Coast dirt, which Wills Wing considers to be a greater threat to the longevity of their wings.

The weather yesterday was odd. It was light and mildly bouyant, ideal paraglider weather. I only got over 5k once but was able to cross the ridge quite a bit without losing any altitude. It was almost a perfect day to try out a new wing. While I'd have loved to get to 8 or 10 K, I'll take the gentle thermals and easy conditions.

My approach and landing were better than my first flight on a Sport 2. This time, I was relaxed on approach and only made the mistake of flaring too late, as I was a bit preoccupied by facing into the West winds. I was in a wind shadow and was expecting more slowing from the wind... that was blocked by the gazebo. I was a little low and flared right at the end of the window, my right knee sliding across the grass like I was sliding into second with an almost-stand-up double.

Fun times, I am glad I bought the wing and am looking forward to more time in the air.

5 comments:

Brad Wright said...

I'm glad that it flew well. Also, I didn't know about dirt being such a problem.

Once you get the hang of it, do you think the Sport 2 will keep you in the air longer?

Knumb said...

On a very light day, a Falcon will probably keep you up longer. But, most of my flights, that's not an issue, because I'm not likely to hump all the way out to the hill on a crappy weather days. If I do, it's a surprise or I've got time to kill.

95% of the flights, length of time will be the same for either... fly until you are tired.

The Sport 2 will allow me to go further afield more easily.

Brad Wright said...

"95% of the flights, length of time will be the same for either... fly until you are tired."

This can't be said about too many flying sites...

Knumb said...

Yea,

Combine a good, fairly predictable site with a busy schedule and I only go out on days I think I'll be able to stay up longer than a sledder

David Aldrich said...

The trick I found to thermalling the Sport 2 is to fly it as slow as you can without falling out of the thermal. In nice smooth thermals you can get the bar way out front and make nice smooth, flat turns right on the edge of stall speed. It took me a little while to get it down, but I now am really happy with the way it climbs.

Your landing looked good, just like you said. You came in with speed all the way, downwind, base and final. Just missed the flare window a bit. The nice thing about the Sport 2 is that if you miss the flare window it doesn't punish you too much.