Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Big O Loop, the Breakout

The big news of the day is that I launched my U2 from the Embree Launch (about 380') and flew for 45 minutes, getting above Marshall and Cloud, and landing after the cold and my sore shoulder got me. Let's hope its the first of many breakout flights for many pilots this year.

What a fun flight, thanks Owen "Big O" Morse and "Rebar" Dan Deweese for the hard work on the Ranger Rack and for helping me launch. Thanks Ken "KH-11" Howells for the snapping the pics below (all pics except the track pop to larger versions).

The Ranger Rack back is done, solid... Dan's the man. The middle portion needs about 9 more inches to lift the wingtips above the bush on the way up. The front portion needs a couple of U bolts made the hard way, outta threaded stock, and that will be it. That's not a lot... we (i.e. Dan) should polish it off this Friday or Saturday.

Some work on the brush and the launches is in order, too.


At least the brush is pretty for now.


Getting the wing down needs some process improvement

.Dan wouldn't let Shiloh help me this time.


Yeeeeeeeargh!


Happiness is having them look up.


Got over Marshall and Cloud.


Hawk buzzes the LZ while I was up.


Puppy puppy puppy puppy!


The same winds that got me out made the landing easy.


Scratch scratch scratch pop scratch scratch pop ahhh... spiral down.

2 comments:

Brad Wright said...

That is great! That's what you've wanted for a long time now... an easy launch that can get you up high.

Great pics too.

Unknown said...

Good for you man, this is fantastic!