Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Big O Loop, Proof of Concept Complete

It's coming, like a freight train.

In less than a month, The Big O Loop will be fully operational (and self-aware?). Yesterday, I strapped my fully set up U2 on the back of our Polaris Ranger and we drove up Via Testes to the F'O' Hundred Launch. I launched into a SE cycle and had a nice 3 minute extended sledder.

Thanks Rebardan for driving me up and the work (and more coming) on the rack. Thanks to Linda Dunn for taking most of these pics.

Ironically, all the work I have put into the project contributed to my not capitalizing on two thermals and getting up and out. I had only had 3 flights and AJX in the previous six months, despite twenty or so trips to the hill. It is just too hard to fly and get significant work done. So, I flew conservatively, not turning into a thermal because I was too close to the terrain for comfort (though I probably could have pulled it off with plenty of room to spare). I settled for a solid launch, led out by Shiloh, a three minute flight, and a perfect landing.

All photos by Linda Dunn, except the one with her in it. Thanks Linda!


Shiloh shows me how to launch

We are getting there, but I have a lot of work to do before our BBQ honoring Big O for his Presidential Citation on June 5th. Among other things, we have to:
- finish the ticket box and signs
- clear a lot of brush on Via Testes
- Cut the Zeller Cliff Launch and KK's Half a K (500) Launch
- Get the rack for the Ranger fabricated
- Program the online reservation system
- Find an Internet voice mail to email system
- Recruit volunteers to help run it

Crap, that's a buncha stuff. I better look at some pics to motivate myself (click to pop bigger pics).


Loading up the test wing (mine)


While Marlin test flies, Jim, Jim and James work on the sprinkler system.


Gene gave us a great, wide road to work with


Stop, lop, ready to roll!


Wot, no hook in sign?



A motley crew


Damn, it feels good to be a gangsta...


Il Padrino i Il Consigliere


Hilarious launch, Jeff plowed through the brush, hootin' and hollerin'


Jeff emerges from the brush to a beautiful sunset.


Kevin does a nice forward inflation in a crosswind


And off Kevin goes


A montage of my first launch from the F'O' Hundred.

2 comments:

olehere said...

Great job to you all - this is going to be a wonderful opportunity for alot of new pilots to the sport. You will have to mention to them how tough it was when you started... ie. we had to walk up hill both ways.

Best regards,
Olehere

Brad Wright said...

The ranger looks perfect for the job... could probably climb a telephone poll.